Friday, March 22, 2013

Is gluten the culprit?

 I've always let my kids eat junk food. WAIT... Hear me out. Kids are kids. I look back at being a kid and some of my best memories consisted of eating a drumstick or some sort of cold sugary snack outside on a hot summer day. Or eating popcorn and candy at the movies. On the weekend if we got a Pizza Hut pizza with a soda those days were heavenly. You get the idea. Good food and good times went hand in hand.  And it was always the kids that werent allowed to have candy or junk that went crazy when they would sneek eat it and act stupid. So my theory has always been that with my kids I will not make "junk" food a big no no and this forbidden fruit because then they will want it more. If I let them eat it every so often they wont "go crazy" when they are subject to it. So we have always had pizza days usually once a month with a family movie or game day. Or have a friday ice cream treat after school on occasion. Don't get me wrong they have to eat their fruits and veggies and drink their water every day but if they wanted french fries before baseball or a hotdog at costco I wouldn't stress about it.

WELL once my daughter was diagnosed ADHD I looked a little closer at my kids diet and decided to revise it. I noticed my standards for school lunches had diminished. Its just so fast and cheap to buy those little boxes of sugary colorful snacks I could toss in their bags. I found as the kids got older everything I was against always feeding them was filling my cuppboards. So I cut out all fruit snacks and anything super sugary. I pack hard boiled eggs, pickles, yogurt, fruit, veggies, anything I consider somewhat healthy instead.

Ok so the point to all this rambling... I started researching the link between gluten and ADHD.. Im just at the beginning of my search but I'm wondering if maybe cutting gluten out for her would help her. She is the pickiest eater in our house for sure so this could be very challenging.  But I noticed her mood changes all the time especially after she eats. Shes SO moody. She will be grumpy, sensitive, hyper, crazy, sad, mad, irritated, tired, you name it she goes through it all the time. I'm trying to pin point what her triggers are in food and thus the research. I am reading a lot on adhd kids cutting the gluten and symptoms of ADHD disappearing. Could this be the answer to her problems too? I am celiac and so is her dad so there is also a possibility of her being celiac as well.. I just don't know yet. I am thinking of doing a trial period of no gluten for her and see if I notice a change. I would love for her to feel normal or not so emotional all the time. I havent exactly decided yet but its on the drawing board right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment